Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Summer of code 2017: Python local help files


As explained in my Summer of code 2017: Python post I decided to pick up Python

I noticed that Python ships with a help file in chm format ( Compiled HTML Help)



Microsoft Compiled HTML Help is a Microsoft proprietary online help format, consisting of a collection of HTML pages, an index and other navigation tools. The files are compressed and deployed in a binary format with the extension .CHM, for Compiled HTML. The format is often used for software documentation.


I haven't used a chm file since SQL Server 2000 within Query Analyzer. I prefer these files over online files for multiple reason

You don't have to be online to access the help file, you can be coding in a cave without connectivity and you can still pull up help

You can bookmark pages you want to get back to over and over again, these will be in the favorites tab



There is an index tab, this is like the back of a book, it is in alphabetical order and you can quickly find stuff
I typed in string, hit enter and saw the following


Then I clicked on method and was presented with the page you see



Do you use the local help file or do you use the online documentation?


No comments: