Monday, July 24, 2017

Summer of code 2017: Python, Day 37 Pandas, Spyder, IPython, Numpy and more


As explained in my Summer of code 2017: Python post I decided to pick up Python

This is officially day 37. You might be thinking I have been slacking off since I have not posted anything. This is actually not true, it is true that I have not posted anything but I have been quite busy with Python. I watched a couple of sections of the Python – Beyond the Basics course by Austin Bingham and Robert Smallshire on Pluralsight.


I learned about packages, subpackages, lambdas, local functions, decorators and more. I will probably need to watch it again since this course is more intense than the previous course. Expect some posts about these things I learned this week



I also listened to a bunch of podcasts on Python the last couple of days


Here are the episodes I listened to

#121 2017-07-19 Microservices in Python Miguel Grinberg
#120 2017-07-12 Python in Finance Yves Hilpisch
#119 2017-07-06 Python in Engineering Allen Downey
#101 2017-03-03 Adding a full featured Python environment to Visual Studio Code Don Jayamanne
#100 2017-02-22 Python past, present, and future with Guido van Rossum Guido van Rossum



Here are the episodes I listened to

Moving to MongoDB with Michael Kennedy – Episode 119
Zulip Chat with Tim Abbott – Episode 118
Pandas with Jeff Reback – Episode 98
PyTables with Francesc Alted – Episode 97


I also messed around with different projects in Visual Studio.



I created a bunch of web projects in Django as well as in Flask to understand  what the differences were. I then looked at some documentation about these web frameworks to see which one looks easier to use and setup


Finally I also messed around with Spyder, iPython, pandas and numpy while following some examples from the Python for Data Analysis: Data Wrangling with Pandas, NumPy, and IPython book

Since the book is a bit dated I ran into some problems with the pandas.io.data module. But a helpful error message informed me that the pandas.io.data module got replaced by pandas-datareader package. So i then installed the pandas-datareader package and the code worked fine


No comments: