Sunday, December 17, 2017

TWID Dec 17, 2017

TWID Dec 17, 2017 This is a post detailing some stuff I did, learned, posted and tweeted this week, I call this TWID (This week in Denis). I am doing this mostly for myself... a kind of an online journal so that I can look back on this later on. Will use the label TWID for these

Married 20 years this week, amazing how time flies, I can still remember like it was yesterday.

Started to read: Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World ..
Read about 30% or so until now. This book is OK, nothing special. This is not a technical book, it is a chronology and prediction of blockchain itself. If you want a technical book, take a look at Mastering Bitcoin: Programming the Open Blockchain by Andreas M. Antonopoulos

Went to the gym, had to bike 5 miles in 15 degree weather without a hat. Man it was brutal when you go downhill, my feet were still frozen 45 minutes after I arrived at the gym, don't even ask about my ears, they were red like Rudolph's nose

Transferred some bitcoin to my blockchain wallet from bitminter, I mined these 3 years ago, not sure what to do next with it. Should I leave it or convert it into cash? When I say bitcoin I mean a fraction of a bitcoin not a whole bitcoin.


This Week I Learned

Alphabet City.. what the cops say those letters stand for
Listened to the latest London Real podcast episode with John Joseph from the Cro-Mags some crazy stuff that this guy went through. At one point he discusses Alphabet City, this is a part of Manhattan that used to be really bad. Here is what the cops said about it

Avenue A: Adventure
Avenue B: Bold
Avenue C: Crazy
Avenue D: Dead

I have only been up till Avenue B when I left in the city. On Avenue B there was an after hour bar I used to go to, I believe it was called La Barca, and the only reason I ended up there is because Save The Robots was closed one night and these dudes were handing out business  card for this joint. I have been to Avenue A many times, a buddy of mine had a bar on 10st and A, this was near the Russian bath house. Not far from Alphabet City was St. Mark's Place and Webster Hall, I spent many evenings there between 1993 and 1996.


This Week I tweeted

Hundreds of Tesla Model 3 vehicles spotted at delivery centers as regular customer deliveries start

Hundreds of Tesla Model 3 vehicles were spotted at delivery centers in California this weekend as regular customer deliveries are reportedly starting.
As expected last week, the early Tesla Model 3 reservation holders that were in the first batch to be invited to configure their car without the Tesla employee priority delivery are starting to take delivery this week.

It looks like this is finally getting some traction. Have not seen as model 3 in the wild yet. At the Princeton Junction train station there are about 5 Tesla model S cars, I also see a model X regularly


Yahoo Finance has added over 100 cryptocurrency quote pages

Here is what the heatmap page looks like


I like they way this looks, I actually haven't visited Yahoo finance in a very long time, I was using Google finance for the last 10 years or so. The latest redesign made Google finance unusable for me, maybe I will use Yahoo finance instead, I do still use Google sheets with their finance formulas.


Yes, it's true, the position is still open, Elon Musk knows when he sees a good thing  :-)

RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop code for automation of tasks in T-SQL, PowerShell, and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
• Set up database monitoring
• Develop stored procedures and optimize queries via T-SQL
• Develop detailed test conditions and test cases to ensure quality of queries and reports
• Research and troubleshoot data questions
• Collaborate on problem resolution, team decisions and project planning




Twenty companies including Unilever and the Virgin Group announced on Tuesday that they will phase out usage of coal in order to combat climate change.

The companies announced their decision at the One Planet Summit hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron in Paris. Coming a month after the COP23 in Bonn, Germany, the announcement puts the companies in a position similar to the "Powering Past Coal Alliance," a partnership of 26 nations founded in Bonn by Britain, France, Mexico, New Zealand, Costa Rica and the Marshall Islands.

Among the list of companies committing to the coal phase out are BT, Engie, Kering, Diageo, Marks & Spencer, Orsted and Storebrand.

That's a good thing



In a 90-minute briefing on Thursday, policy analysts at the nation's leading public health institute were presented with the menu of seven banned words, an analyst told the paper. On the list: "diversity," "fetus," "transgender," "vulnerable," "entitlement," "science-based" and "evidence-based."

Alternative word choices reportedly were presented in some cases. For instance, in lieu of "evidence-based" or "science-based," an analyst might say, "CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes," the source said. But those working on the Zika virus's effect on developing fetuses may be at a loss for appropriate -- or acceptable -- words.

It's not April 1st, fake news or the year 1500, this is just incredible.


Some cool stuff you might enjoy

I discovered OneTab this week. The OneTab browser extension collapses a messy browser full of tabs into one tab with a bulleted list of your previous tabs! This helps conserve computer memory, it also declutters your browser. You can also share all your collapsed URLs with someone if you wish to do so
Here is what it looks like
To restore a tab, all you have to do is click on the link. Get it here https://www.one-tab.com/


Some pics I took

Took this pic after it snowed a little, pretty don't you think?

Winter wonderland Princeton Bridge

No comments: