Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020 in Numbers...

I am glad 2020 ended and hopefully 2021 will be much better.  A couple of items on my list for this year got either postponed or will never happen.  I planned to go to the PASS Summit in Texas in 2020, that obviously didn't happen and it looks like it won't happen in the future either. PASS is no more :-(



Here are some numbers for 2020 that I put together looking at some sheets and journals


123,116
Calories burned running. I ran a little over 800 miles this year and burned what seems like a lot of calories. But since we are all home, the wife and kids did a lot of baking, this evened out the calories :-)






Rugelach


13,930
Pushups.  I try to do 100 pushups every 2 or 3 days, this is the total for the year

9,551 
Dividends. This is the total amount of dividends I received this year. All of these have been reinvested. Until I retire, I am doing a reinvestment into the same security

800.3
Miles run. My goal was 800 and I stuck to it... It's nothing major, about 4 miles 4 times a week

300
Days since I was last in the office
I told my wife when the office is open again, you won't see me for a month :-)


60
The number of books I read
Since there is no commute, I had some more time to read this year, I read about 5 books per month

Some of the book I read

Image

Will have my 5 favorite books after the numbers list


40
Longest bike ride. 
Did this bike ride with my oldest son. We left around 6:40 AM because it went up to 95 degrees that day. I Also managed to get a flat tire 30 miles in :-(
After we came home we just sat on the couch for the rest of the day



Bikeride




31 
Number of pepper plants planted
We planted 31 spicy pepper plants. We picked a lot of the peppers, gave away a bunch, made pepper flakes etc etc

Here are some pics
The first one is the ghost pepper


Ghost Peppers

Picked Peppers

Spicy Peppers


Pickled Peppers



11
Seasons of shows I watched and finished with my wife
Narcos Mexico II
Mr Robot I
Mr Robot II
Mr Robot III
Mr Robot IV
The Crown I
Succession I
Succession II
Succession III
Ozark III
Curb Your Enthusiasm X

0
Number of tables I dropped on the production database server



Best item purchased
Since I am working from home constantly, I decided to invest in a universal docking station. We got new laptops from work, they only come with 2 USB ports, and of course these are right next to the HDMI port. Using this USB docking station makes live so much easier



USB docking station


And here is what it looks like, I included a mouse for scale (sorry didn't have a banana)





As you can see it comes with a nice pouch, it's really small and fits easily in your bag.



Best 5 books

Here are my favorite 5 books I read last year, I did not include books I re-read like The Stand and Fellowship of the ring

This is even more relevant now after the SolarWind hack


Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow 
I admit I did not know much about Hamilton, this was recommended by my brother in law. This is a fantastic book about a man who was part of the beginnings of the US

The Terror by Dan Simmons
I watched the show 2 years ago on AMC, the show is really good... but the book is even better


Permutation City by Greg Egan
Will this be us in 100 years?

There are two ways to go about things... either conserve.. or use technology to fix things.....


That's it for 2020......  I will be back in a couple of days to show my list of things for 2021....

Have a good 2021





No comments: