Monday, April 10, 2017

Adding some Kaizen to my life



I turned 47 this weekend and decided I should try to improve my life, after all I am getting older and want to be around when my kids grow up. I gained a little weight in the last 10 years, probably between 10 and 15 pounds or so. The best way for me to tackle this weight gain would be to use several small changes. Think of it as Kaizen, if you don’t know what Kaizen is, here is a small definition and the link to Wikipedia.

Kaizen (改善?), is Japanese word for "continuous improvement ". In business, kaizen refers to activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers. It also applies to processes, such as purchasing and logistics, that cross organizational boundaries into the supply chain.[1] It has been applied in healthcare,[2] psychotherapy,[3] life-coaching, government, banking, and other industries.

By improving standardized programmes and processes, kaizen aims to eliminate waste (see lean manufacturing). Kaizen was first practiced in Japanese businesses after the Second World War, influenced in part by American business and quality-management teachers, and most notably as part of The Toyota Way. It has since spread throughout the world[4] and has been applied to environments outside of business and productivity.


The first thing I will do is document all the stuff I eat, I am doing this because if I eat any crap, I will need to document that, so it will force me to really think if I should have that bag of chips or handful of M&Ms today


I will also increase the times I do aerobic exercises

I will not skip my workout days (sometimes it is not my fault, NJ Transit does not always run on time you know) But if I skip a day, I should make it up on a non-workout day

Finally, I should start working on my flexibility, I should work on becoming more flexible, I got kind of stiff over the years



That is all for this post... the first daily post will go out tonight

No comments: